Thursday 15 July 2010

Isle of Man

Hi all,

It’s been a fun last couple of weeks doing a couple more school visits, and also putting in some training for my next big challenge (can’t tell you that quite yet!). I also spent a couple of nights up over on the Isle of Man courtesy of Canada Life International.

I flew up on Thursday and much to my disappointment it was raining when I got there! It’s been so hot where I live that I didn’t even bother taking a jumper! I only took a thin jacket which wasn’t exactly warm in the slightest, but oh well, worse things have happened!

It was great to meet up with the team at Canada Life and I also did a short interview for the local radio station. That night we had a lovely dinner (thanks Sean!) consisting of steak and lobster and it was back over to the hotel room for a good sleep as I had a big day the day after.

The morning began with a visit to Ballacottier Primary School. I was really impressed with just how behaved the kids were. I did a short 20 minute talk and then it was question time and wow the kids were really responsive. This went down a treat but I had to leave to head over to the High School for another talk so I wasn't able to answer everyone's questions…there were still maybe 30 hands in the air when the head master had to call time!


I arrived at Ballakermeen High School and after being shown around, the sixth form were assembled in the lecture room and I went and delivered a talk to them. This also went down a treat and I was really chuffed. The guys at the high school were all a really good laugh!

 

After this I had the afternoon off and spent it wandering around and having a look at a bit of the Island. It’s certainly a very pretty place. The evening arrived and I headed over to the Hilton for the evening charity dinner. They were raising money for Project 21 and I was the keynote speaker.

The food was once again delicious and after this I was up. I had a really enjoyed talking to the 150 executives in the room and got quite a good few laughs so I was chuffed with the way it went down. It’s great being only 18 and delivering a talk to an audience with an average age of 45! There was a charity auction and they raised £11,000 which was really great news!


This evening I was honoured to be invited to present some awards at the Hendon RAF Museum, for The Alan Senitt Memorial Trust. These were for a few groups of secondary school students who have been following a course to develop leadership skills and have had a really positive effect on their community. One example being, a group of students who totally renovated a sports hut for kids to use.

This week I’m doing some more training (big announcement soon!) for my next project so keep following!

Mike

9 comments:

  1. hello! long time no comment, sorry about that. more training.... big announcement... very exciting. Go on, what is it? You can tell me, I wont tell anyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YESSSSSSSSSSSSS! i've been waiting for another one of your adventures! Tell us all ASAP!

    AZ, USA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear. The WhoLe Family is excited to hear from you next week on the next adventure

    The Duerl Family USA

    ReplyDelete
  4. This new blog looks magnificent Mike...love it and am also very excited about your next adventure.
    I sympathise with the training regime; with Cowes only 6 weeks away I am 'on the same boat' as far as getting fitness to an optimum level is concerned. Best of the 'bestest' for you and I'm so looking forward to hearing your next announcement.
    Hugs from Sam in Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for keeping us updated. It seems that life is good, and that's awesome! You're doing a lot of good with the schools and other talks. People need to realize that young people can do amazing things, and with luck, your inspirational talks will help a whole new generation of "kids" (young and old) live their dreams.

    I enjoyed the book. I'd sure like to get a DVD or Blu-Ray of the documentary. Tell the rights people to release it to us Yanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite an improvement, this new site... looking forward for the announcement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well we know you're heading down to Australia.
    Now there's this race called the Sydney to Hobart that you are now eligible to compete in... I wonder? Hoo Roo ☺☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mike i'll wager that you have logged more frequent flyer miles than your entire solo circumnavigation lol Cheers !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great book mike,was starting to get very down after 18 month,s out of work in london,starting to believe again.

    ReplyDelete