Friday 23 July 2010

Flying Lesson One

In the first lesson, I met up with Chris who would be teaching me for the first week. Liam was on holiday. I was due to start lessons the next week but suddenly I had some free time and we decided to start them this week. We first spent around 15minutes in the classroom going over basic theory. Having sailing as a background really helped, as all the principles of lift are exactly the same.

 

We then went out to the aircraft to go through a complete check of the aircraft. We used the checklist in the booklet and went through from start to finish. Chris was excellent as he explained totally everything and got me to do everything which I really liked. After the full check we went inside, signed out, phoned up the tower to radio out and then headed out to the plane.

 

Got in the plane and then started the engine, taxied out down to the runway. Was learning all the braking and the steering via the rudders. Arrived at the runway, radioed for final clearance and then got into position. Put the power up to 100% with feet on the brakes. Released the brakes and off we went! Once the airspeed was up to around 65knots Chris lifted the nose and we were airborne! Wow what a feeling! During all the take off I had my hands on the controls and was just getting a feel for what Chris was doing.

 

We headed up to 2000 feet. The maximum allowed in the area is 2500 due to all the commercial traffic just above us. Chris handed over the controls to me and he let me get the feel for it myself. Good habits learned early will stick with me so it was important for me to learn them right at first. Before I knew it we were flying over my home town and I was looking down searching for my house. I realised that we had passed it and so we did a circle and found it! It sticks out a lot as we are one of the very few houses in our town to have a pool in our garden. Potters Bar certainly looks pretty small from up there. I was grinning from ear to ear and was wondering if my parents were looking up at us at that exact moment.

 

We flew out to Lee Valley Park and Chris was letting me really get the hang of all the controls which was really great. I was having a ball and felt right at home in the air. Sure I was a bit nervous. But who wouldn’t be during their first flying lesson! Chris showed me all the principles of how the aircraft balances in the air. He showed and explained all the differences the flaps make. He explained the trim tab fully. He certainly explained a lot during that first lesson but I just soaked it all in and I loved it.

 

We headed back to Elstree airfield, effectively following the M25. A brilliant reference for where you are. We were back in what felt like no time and as we came into land Chris once again took the controls but I followed through and felt every little move he was making. He was excellent as he explained every little bit of what he was doing and the effect if was having on the plane, the speed and the altitude. Called up the tower too.

 

We touched down with just a little bump and then taxied off to the end of the runway and headed over to our parking space. I was definitely really thrilled after that lesson and left with a very large smile on my face. Thanks Cabair flight school.

1 comment: