Wednesday 25 August 2010

Hamilton Island Race Week

Hi all,

I’m now up at Hamilton Island race week and wow what a crazily fun week this is turning into! I’m up here racing with the Panasonic Lumix team on an SB3. The crew is Jess, Matt and Sean and we’re all really enjoying being out on the water.

I’ve never raced an SB3 before but I have sailed very similar boats so it is a small learning curve figuring out the little things on the boat which will improve our performance with the trim but I’m quite happy with the way it’s coming together.

Yesterday seeing as there was very little wind, Bruce took us all over to Whitehaven beach which is recognized as one of the nicest beaches in Australia! It was pretty amazing that’s for sure.

Today was our first days racing and it was really great fun to get out on the water and compare ourselves to the other teams. We aren’t too happy with our results and a couple of starts were messed up badly but the main thing is that we had a lot of fun, so I’m going to leave it at that!

I’ll keep you guys updated on the racing ahead.

Mike

4 comments:

  1. Phew, I nearly had a bet on you guys on the first day!!!
    Ninth from nine! The only way is up, keep laughing and I'll keep teaching the whipper snappers.
    ☺☺☺ HOO ROO ☺☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun crew. Looking forward to your posts and those from Jess and lots of pictures. Have fun one and all.

    Kathy in Oregon USA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck at the Hamilton Island Race Week Mike. Just watched you on their Day 5 video and it looks like you and the crew are having a great time. Happy sailing!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was great fun watching the video of day 5. I would have liked to have seen all the crazy starting action.

    Richard in Maryland

    ReplyDelete